Saturday, July 18, 2009

Using Keyword Research To Gain Traffic

Every webmaster strives to get their website listed in the first position of search engines. Your website will never generate sales if you pick unrelated keywords. To start an online business, you have to be smart, and being smart deals with keyword research. If you do not do keyword research before starting an online business, you will fail.

Many webmasters that eventually fail after a short amount of time recommend using long tail keywords. If you use long tail keywords from the start, you may be actually wasting time. It is rare to find long tail keywords that even get searched. In my experience, I have noticed that more and more people are choosing the wrong long tail keywords.

You should focus on finding keywords that get a decent amount of search traffic, but rarely anyone is optimizing for them. It not an issue if a keyword is long tail or not. The length of a keyword does not indicate how competitive it is. Some five word keywords are more competitive than one word keywords, and they would be considered long tail.

I will get you some tips on what I do to get my keyword research completed. I try to find keywords that I want to rank highly for. Then I plug them into Keyword Elite, and I find out how much traffic they are getting per month. I do not use the Google Keyword Tool because I don’t think it’s very accurate.

After that, I search the keywords that are getting a decent amount of visitors. I use Yahoo to examine the websites that have the number one position for their inbound links. I look to see if the site is getting backlinks with the keyword in them.

If the links are not the keyword search term, then I know that the website owner in the first position is relatively clueless. With relevant backlinks and patience, I will easily be able to get the number one spot for that certain keyword.

Many new webmasters fall under the logic that it is going to be extremely time consuming and difficult to rank well for terms. You have to take into consideration that many webmasters know nothing about search engine optimization and are lucky to be ranking well. If you find keywords where website owners aren’t doing good optimization, you have a good chance of taking their spot and making money.

To Your Success
Kamal Todary
http://www.lessons2success.ws
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment